Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

I really enjoyed reading this book as well. After Montag meets Clarisse it really gets him to thinking about his life asking himself, am I really happy? Do I love my wife? Turns out the answer is no. He's not happy and he doesn't even know his wife anymore. Neither can remember where they even met. Montag feels like he's living with a stranger. Millie does not appear to love Montag either. She just looks out for herself. She seems pretty dumb too if the reason she overdosed was because she kept forgetting she was taking pills. It seems so weird too that those men just come in suck out what inside her then refill her with new blood. Its creepy. Another aspect I found interesting is that this was written in the 50's and there are similarities to technology today. The walls for example where Millie talked to her family are similar to tv's or skype. They are like the huge flat screens people have today and people are addicted to watching tv today like Millie was to the walls and the family. The shells Millie wore in her ears are like ipods and the thing Montag wore in his ear to talk to his friend is like bluetooths. I thought that was rather interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is really interesting to think that this was all in a sense "predicted" many years ago. I wonder if when this book was written whether or not these ideas were his imagination or he actually believed this was going to happen. The book so far is interesting and very different from what I expected, but I also agree that since Montag met Clarisse his entire perspective has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that you made the connection between when this book was written and our world today. Technology is always advance and science is born from science fiction.

    ReplyDelete