Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Ending to A Clockwork Orange

I thought the ending of the book was weird. Alex was locked in an apartment and someone next door turned the music real loud that tortured him because it reminded him of his therapy. I think the guys who said they helped him wanted to prove their point that the therapy was wrong and his life was ruined. It helped their case when Alex jumped out the window because they could blame his therapy and having no choice on why he did it. After he gets out of the hospital his parents invite him to come back to live with them and Alex finds another group of boys to hang out with like Pete, Georgie, and Dim were in the beginning. I'm not surprised he went back to this lifestyle because I never thought he really changed. He was forced into those choices and he was never really a good person. I thought it was weird how he ran into Pete and his wife and all of a sudden he wanted to find a woman to marry and have kids with. It seemed like such a drastic change and just didn't seem logical to me. Alex was just so amazed at how grown up Pete looked yet Pete was still so young. It just seemed like Alex's violence was a stage that he had grown out of and now he wanted to be a mature adult. It all just seemed odd to me.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I read the ending of the book. Alex did see growth within his freind making him wanting to change for the better. But what I dont understamd is that why do Alex had to go back to his old life. He even went ahead and made a new gang ,and he was the leader again. Moreover Alex will change for the better if he wants to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he was astonished at the fact that Pete had grown up and maybe a little envious. I got that Pete was the more mature one of the four of them by the way he didn't want to fight Alex as well as always having a neutral view on things. It was weird that he wanted a family all of a sudden and maybe it would have changed him for the better but I still think he would have gone back to his old ways or be abusive to his family. There is a lot of different ways it can be taken.

    ReplyDelete