Thursday, February 18, 2010

Feed--Lit blog for 2/19

To be honest, at first I didn't think I would like Feed. I've read books like this before and didn't like them, but since this one is newer I think that helped. In the end, I really liked it. Some of the language is different, but its easy to catch onto quick. As you read further and further into the book you begin to realize just how much the feed runs the lives of the people. When the feed had to be shut down after the hacker touched Titus and some of his friends they had no idea what to do without it. It was rather pathetic actually, but most of them were born with it so they knew nothing else. Violet is the one who introduces to Titus what its like without the feed and how to fight it. It is sad though that the world had become what it had in the book. The people were physically falling apart, the feed ran parts of the body, and if there was a problem, like Violet had, the corporations decided if you were worth saving. The world they lived in was pretty insane. The world itself and the environment was falling apart as well. It sounded like hell to me. The world they lived in would be horrible. Having my life run by a corporation, ads coming into my head all the time, and basically having no freedom would be the worst life ever. The weird part is, these people are so brainwashed they don't realize whats happening. They just take it because thats what the feed says; everything is alright. I liked reading it, but it just makes you want to tell these people they're stupid...don't they see whats happening? How could you not? It gave me a new perspective on things.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that their world was a little insane. It is kind of scary to think that the world could some day be like this. I mean, we don't have chips in our head yet, but will it come to that? People are already starting to put chips in their animals and probably their own children, so will it come to this one day? That is really weird to think that our children's children might live in a world where they are completely controlled by the "feed." In a sense, we already are controlled, or atleast influenced by the media/feed so I am curious to see what technology in the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel that if I had to live in a world like this I would hate it. We talked in class about how we see hundreds of ads a day and we do not really notice them, but if they were in our heads there would be no way not to notice. Also the time Titus' friends were making fun of Violet and she wanted to leave, she and Titus were in the car and they were talkng through chat, not even outloud. They are right next to eachother and they still choose to use the feel to communicate. I just think it is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "chips in the head" question is a valid one. Parents I know feel much more comfortable, for example, if their children (even as young as 5) have cell phones so that they can track where they are. I'm not sure how I feel about that...

    ReplyDelete